Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Unlock the process that holding folder or file

Today I got one annoying error message given by Windows OS when I want to delete one folder name. The folder name is "." and it keep on giving me this error message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk".



I try to use command prompt to delete it, changed permission, take owner ship of the folder and many more. However it still give me the same error message back.

Why I cannot delete this folder? I want to know is there any process holding this folder? My objective is simple to find the process that holding the folder. May be "Process Explorer" from Windows Sysinternals can help and after do some research I found that there is one nice free tool called "unlocker" from "Empty Loop" http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker

Once you have installed the application, just go to the folder/file that you want to check and simply right click the folder/file and select "Unlocker" to display any process that holding the folder/file. Then you can unlock/kill the process that holding the folder/file.

After that I try again to delete the folder. Walaaaaaa..it work, I manage to delete the folder as normal again. ;)


-Other annoying error message given by Windows OS when you want to delete folder/file:

Cannot delete file: Access is denied
There has been a sharing violation.
The source or destination file may be in use.
The file is in use by another program or user.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.



No comments:

Post a Comment